- Homework Help
- Meet the Staff
- Summer Reading
- Story Hour
- Fun and Games
- Staff Picks
- Dear Reader
- For Parents
- For Teachers
- Other Resources
* Please call the library for current username and password
Meet Your Children's Library Staff
Nan Campbell, Children's Librarian
Nan is the Children’s Librarian at the Hardin County Public Library. She organizes the Baby and Me and Toddler Time programming. She loves sharing stories and crafts with the library’s youngest patrons. Above all, she hopes to make the library as special a place to them as it was to her as a child.
Melanie, Children's Librarian
Melanie is the Children's Librarian at the North Branch. She organizes the Story Hour for Younger and Older Preschool as well as special evening programs. She enjoys finding creative crafts for the children every week.
Summer Reading Program 2015
Summer Reading Program 2015
Programs at the Main Branch
|Mondays||11:15am - 12:15am||Kindergarten|
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Grades 1-3|
|5:00pm - 6:00pm||Grades 1-3|
|Tuesdays||10:30am - 11:00am||Baby & Me|
|11:00am - 11:30am||Younger Preschool|
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Grades 1-3|
|2:15pm - 3:15pm||Kindergarten|
|Wednesdays||10:30am - 11:00am||Younger Preschool|
|11:15am - 12:15pm||Older Preschool|
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Grades 4-6|
|2:15pm - 3:15pm||Grades 6-12 (Unmask!)|
|Thursdays||11:00am - 11:30am||Younger Preschool|
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Older Preschool|
|Saturdays||11:00am - 12:00pm||Grades K-3|
Programs at the North Branch
|Tuesdays||9:30am - 10:30am||Older Preschool (ages 2-5)|
|11:00am - 12:00pm||Grades K-3|
|Wednesdays||11:30am - 12:30pm||Grades 4-8|
* Children must be 2 by June 1 to sign up for Younger Preschool programs
Children must be 3 by June 1 to sign up for Older Preschool programs
Please sign up for the grade level your child has just completed
Baby & Me 0-24 months
Story Hour 2014-2015
Please see the announcements page for more information.
Fun and Games
Learn more about your favorite author
- J. K. Rowling
- Jan & Stan Berenstain
- Judy Blume
- Roald Dahl
- Dr. Seuss
- Kevin Henkes
- Laura Numeroff
- Barbara Park
- Dav Pilkey
- Peggy Rathmann
- Lemony Snicket
Games Web Sites
- Ant and Grasshopper by Luli Gray
- Cowboy Clyde and Dirty Dawg by Lori Mortensen
- Digging Up Dinosaurs by Aliki
- Edward and the Pirates by David McPhail
- Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo Williems
- Meerkat Mail by Emily Gravett
- Ribbit! by Rodrigo Folgueira
- The Ant and the Big Bad Bully Goat by Andrew Fusek Peters
- The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman
- The Secret Box by Barbara Lehman
- Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg
Middle School Books
- E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! by William Joyce
- Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger
- I Funny: A Middle School Story by James Patterson
- Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
- Judy Moody and the Bad Luck Charm by Megan McDonald
- Middle School: Get Me out of Here! by James Patterson
- Nightshade City (Nightshade Chronicles) by Hilary Wagner
- The False Prince: Book 1 of the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine A. Applegate
- Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Youth Adult Books
- Beautiful Creatures (Series, Book 1) by Kami Garcia
- Catching Fire (The Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 2) by Suzanne Collins
- Destiny Binds (Timber Wolves Trilogy, Book 1)
- Icons by Stohl, Margaret
- Insurgent (Series, Book 2)
- Prodigy (Series) by Marie Lu
- Reached (Trilogy, Book 3) by Ally Condie
- The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
- The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
- What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Read the latest books in your email with our Online Book Clubs.
Every day, Monday through Friday you'll receive a 5-minute read from a chapter of a book in your email. By the end of the week, you'll have read 2-3 chapters.
Here at HCPL, we are pleased to offer a variety of services to your children. These services include:
- Fun reading based programs for a variety of ages.
- Story hour for ages 0-5. To see the schedule click on the Story Hour Tab.
- Quality reader's advisory and reference service. We are here to help with your homework needs!
- Yearly summer reading program. To see the schedule click on the Summer Reading Tab.
- Computer games for children.
- A wide variety of children's fiction, non-fiction and audio materials available.
- And of course, the famous "little" door!
Your Kids Can Get Their Own Library Card!
Children can get their own library cards. This is a wonderful opportunity to teach your child responsibility at a young age. There is no age limitation on library cards. However, parents must bring your child with them in person to the library with a photo id for mom or dad. Only parents or guardians can get their kids library cards. This card is free to Hardin County residents. Out of county residents must pay a $25.00 annual membership fee. So sign your kids up for their own library cards today!
We want your child to feel welcome and safe at HCPL. Please read our Safe Child Policy so that your visit is as pleasant as possible! Please note that all children under six must be accompanied by an adult or caregiver who is at least 16 years or older.
The HCPL is pleased to offer services especially for teachers! Please call our youth services librarian at 769-6337 for more information if you are interested in any of these services.
Tours for any age student. We even include a story for younger visitors or book talks for older students. Tour groups can also get library cards. We provide the applications, you get them signed by parents and we will have the cards ready for you when your group arrives (requires one week processing time).
Book talks for grades K-12, either here at the Library or at your school.
We will be glad to put together a selection of non-fiction titles for your use. Please give us at least two weeks notice for these requests. Books can be checked out for up to a month, provided that they are not new titles. Selection will be at the librarian's discretion. Not all materials on a certain subject will be included.